Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Model 19 woofer ???

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Dylanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    If I buy the pair of 19s off of the forum member that is selling them and have them sent by truckline is there any danger of the woofers being damaged by the up & down bouncing of the truck? Would it be better to remove them and the drivers and place them in boxes?

    Thanks for the help

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Dylanl's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 20th, 2004
    Posts
    90
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I forgot to mention they will be taking a long ride from Portland to Pittsburgh, PA.

  3. #3
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    Model 19's were shipped, if I'm not mistaken, already assembled. They went out from Anaheim to all over the country.

    However, I would suggest the wiring scheme diagrammed, then the horn/driver assembly and woofers be removed, double boxed, and shipped separately.

    I wouldn't chance it...

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    1. The grills need to be protected somehow. The frames are not that sturdy and the grill cloth could easily be damaged.

    2. Maybe remove the crossovers so the knobs or shafts don't get damaged.

    3. I think the woofers would be fine if the fronts are covered with something very stiff to avoid puncture. They need to be mounted to something sturdy and those cabinets will do. The cabinets could probably be used as jackstands in a pinch. forums

    4. I would be a little concerned about the weight of the compression driver hanging off the back end of the horn with no support. The horns without the drivers would be fine in the cabinet.

    5. You'll need to be careful with the 2" bases beneath the cabinets. Don't bust them up while loading on a pallet. They can be removed.

    6. Do you know that there are just two bolts that fasten the top and bottom sections of the cabinet together? I can personally attest to the fact that if you take a pair of 19's apart the whole works (4 cabinet pieces, 4 grills) will fit in the back of a Ford Escape with the seats folded down. forums

    It would be interesting to know if Altec originally shipped 19's fully assembled one per box or just what they did. Anyone?

    Later . . .

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    With regard to the horns, I forgot how far they extend out the front of the cabinet. You may want to remove them as well. I see that Todd posted while I was writing so I missed his suggestions. Now that I see them, I like his thoughts too.

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For the 15s, a jumper attached across both terminals will subdue excessive cone movement, as it shorts out any emf generated by cone movement, damping further movement. If you pull them out of cabs, bolting them together, face-to-face, protects the cones from the front, and wrapping the pair in bubble wrap does the rest. Don't use any foam peanuts, newspapers, or other compressable packing, 'cause it WILL pack in the basket when shipped. Everybody else's suggestions are advisable too.
    BFISH

  7. #7
    Inactive Member gearjammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 8th, 2002
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Well for what it's worth I have over a million miles plus behind me driving long distance. I have also hauled my personal pair of 19's from Milwaukee home to Winnipeg. 99 percent of the trailers being used now are air ride. I have put a coffee cup in the back of a air ride trailer and 500 miles later it is still standing upright. I would not remove any components at all,you are just risking more turmoil. Remove the grills and lay a 1/4 inch hardboard panel in front of the woofer and then take a roll of industrial stretch wrap and wrap the cabinet which will retain the panel in front of woofer which will protect it.Then wrap the entire cabinet with the type of bubble wrap they use for furniture like leather seating. after that do the stretch wrap thing again till the whole cabinet is sealed. Put both cabinets facing each other on the palet with a 2 inch foam board in the middle. Then bring them tight togeather and stretch wrap them again. If you are worried about the bottom riser ship them upside down. Also make sure the palet has a smooth panel layed on it first to protect the speakers on top of it. Package the grills seperate. And do not forget to center the cabinets on the palet and strap them to the palet as well. Notify the transport company that nothing is to be stacked on top of this freight and keep it away from other freight that can fall over on it. Hey Dylan send me a private message when you read this

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.